Is pixman 0.43.0 a development or stable release?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 02:43:58 UTC 2024

On 1/8/24 22:53, Benjamin Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> pixman 0.43.0 has an odd minor number, and <https://www.cairographics.org/releases/
> <https://www.cairographics.org/releases/>> still says "LATEST-pixman-0.42.2", which
> both suggest that 0.43.0 is a development release.  But pixman also hasn't had any
> development releases since December 2015, and the 0.43.0 release announcement doesn't
> specify either way.  Could anyone clarify the intent of this release?

As far as we know, odd minor versions of pixman are development releases.  That is
why we have not incorporated 0.43.0 into BLFS.  Sometimes upstream developers change
and alter the release methodology, but it would be nice to announce it.

In any case, the conservative way for users to go is to use 0.42.2 unless there is a
specific package that needs the later version of if there is a known security issue
that is addressed in the newer version.  Right now with the information we have about
pixman, we are going to stay with the 'stable' version.

   -- Bruce