[Cairo] ELF shared library improvements [0/4]

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Tue Jul 29 13:38:14 PDT 2003

On Jul 28, Richard Henderson wrote:
 > Inspired by Carl and Keith's nice OLS talk, I'd like to help out
 > by adding machinery to build better elf shared libraries.

Richard,

Thank you very much for you contribution! This will be a nice
improvement.

 > Anyway, part the zeroth concerns a couple of common header files
 > that I think would be nice to have.  I can't think of what to
 > name them though.

If we can come up with a reasonable name, we can add a "name_" prefix
to the macros and package a single /usr/include/name.h file as its own
package.

Here are some lame ideas for a name, just to get the ball rolling:

sos	Shared Object Solution. The answer to longtime pleas for help
	from library developers.

lips	Library Protection Service. lips makes a fine prefix. Though,
	of course, the package name can be lipservice.

slim	Shared-Library Interface Macros.

tia	Total Interface Awareness. (Yes, I do have an office next door
	to DARPA). I'd probably better stop now.

As far as "apt-cache search" is concerned, any of those names would be
available.

I think I'm partial to slim myself.

-Carl